Welcome back to the Christmas series.
It seems a bit strange to feature toasted coconut in a Christmas series. However, since I used it to decorate my gluten-free carrot cake, I thought I’d show you how to toast coconut since it is super easy to make.
While some folks prefer eating shredded coconut out of the bag, I only eat toasted coconut because it is just that good. It is the perfect snack.
Furthermore, adding toasted coconut to baked goods levels up the flavor. The idea behind toasting coconut is the same as toasting nuts. It intensifies their natural sweetness and creates texture in baked goods.
Why Should You Toast Your Own Coconut?
While you can certainly purchase toasted coconut, my philosophy in regards to food is why buy what you can make. In addition to this, store-bought coconut is filled with preservatives to ensure it maintains its freshness. Making your own toasted coconut gives you more control over what goes into your coconut.
How To Use Toasted Coconut
Toasted coconut can be used in many ways. It can be used to decorate carrot cakes or toasted coconut cookies. You can also use toasted coconuts in cakes, muffins, yogurt bowls, parfaits, granola, or bars.
How To Toast Coconut
Similar to toasting nuts, there are 3 ways you can toast coconut. You can toast coconut in the oven, on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
How To Toast Coconut In The Microwave
Even though it sounds a bit sketchy, you can actually toast coconut in the microwave. It is the quickest method of toasting coconut. Spread 1/2 cup of shredded coconut onto a microwave-safe plate and heat it in the microwave in 30-second increments stirring after each increment until the coconut is your desired level of toasted.
How To Toast Coconut On The Stovetop
You can also toast coconut on the stovetop. This method of toasting coconut gives you the most control as you can watch it transform from white to a golden brown.
Simply place 1-2 cups of shredded coconut into a large skillet and set it over a medium-low flame. Cook the coconut continuously, stirring until nearly all of the coconut flakes are golden brown. Note, if you use sweetened coconut, it will take less time to toast.
How To Maked Toasted CoconutCourse: Christmas Recipes, Gluten-Free, vegan
When it comes to baking, toasted coconut is a necessity. You can use it in cakes, cookies, muffins, granola, and bars.
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- Program the oven to 350ºF, then line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut onto the baking sheet, spread it into an even layer, and bake it for 8-10 minutes, stirring the coconut every 2 minutes until golden.
- Let the toasted coconut cool completely before using it.
- NUTRITION Info: Serving size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 105 | Carbohydrates: 10g | Fiber: 2.6 | Protein: 1.1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 9.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 5.9mg | Sugar: 1.2g |
- NUTRITIONAL INFO DISCLAIMER: The nutritional values presented above are only estimates. I don’t have a medical background, nor am I a registered dietitian or certified nutritionist. Therefore, nutritional information shown on foodandmoodcreations.com should only be used as a general guideline.